W. W. (Bill) Stewart established Whitworth Holdings Ltd. in Kelowna, B. C. in the early 1960’s.
Born in Kelowna in 1924, Bill was the oldest son of pioneer Kelowna nurseryman Richard John Stewart from County Kildare, Ireland and Lucy Mary Whitworth from Vancouver, B. C. Bill was passionate about the family nursery business and in the early 1960’s assumed sole ownership of Stewart Brothers Nurseries.
In addition to the nursery, Bill Stewart participated in joint ventures with his brother Dick Stewart and brothers Erwin and Dave Schellenberg. Through Parkside Developments Ltd., an apartment complex on Lawrence Avenue and the Fairview Apartments on Lakeshore were developed in the early 1960s and property on Kirschner Road was purchased which was later developed as Stewart Centre.
Also in the sixties, the partners through Intercity Ventures Ltd. purchased Kelowna Builders Supply with adjacent properties on Industrial Avenue and Ellis Street. These properties are part of the current Whitworth portfolio.
The partners started Rutland Builders Supply and Penticton Builders Supply which were sold with the business Kelowna Builders Supply in the early 1970’s.
The business office for the partners was located in the Cannery Building following its purchase in 1972. Bill and Dick Stewart bought out the Schellenberg brothers in 1989 and operated as the Double S Cannery Group. Ten years later, Bill and Dick divided their holdings. Whitworth Holdings operated from its office in the Cannery Building until late 2010.
Today Whitworth Holdings Ltd. is still a family owned real estate development and property management company.